Monday, January 16, 2012

Reflection on Resources...

Reflection on resourcing, including any new technologies, staffing and training provided

This point is largely moot, since no resources are going to be provided for the enhancement of this course.

The development environments used in this course (all Microsoft: Excel 2010 Visual Basic for Applications, Visual Studio 2010 with Visual Basic, Access 2010 (and Office 2010 for documentation)) are the latest versions available. Other development suites are available, but I felt it best to leverage my experience with these and, as freely available (apart from Office 2010, and only to registered students), usable examples of development tools in current industry use worldwide, they are popular with the students.

I am not aware of any forthcoming staffing changes for this course but, out of professionalism, I would like to have it developed to a standard where it could be comfortably taken over by a colleague in my absence. This is why I chose it as a vehicle for my CCEL studies, but no other resources are available.

I have created and delivered this course without actual formal training, but using my industry experience. Appropriate training is available, in the form of a number of official Microsoft Technical Specialist courses and examinations:
  • 70-511 Windows Applications Development
  • (70-513 Communication Foundation Development)
  • (70-515 Web Applications Development)
  • 70-516 Accessing Data
These are far beyond what is needed for a Level 3 course, but they will formalise my understanding. Resources are not available for me to follow them, so I plan to do so in my own time, and my Professional Development budget should cover the exam fees for three of them this year. However, I still have funded PD commitments from last year that I need to complete first.

No comments:

Post a Comment