Thursday, January 12, 2012

Existing Learning Activities...

Existing learning activities critically reviewed – what works and what doesn’t

Here is a thumbnail list of what the course currently contains:
  • Presentation and discussion of initial concepts, interspersed with rote typing of example programme code from the overhead projector
    • I plan to retain the rote typing, as it works quite well for a number of reasons:
      • The students get an implicit introduction to the development environments, rather than being daunted by overviews that they don't initially need
      • They only have to type accurately to get working programmes straightaway
      • They learn the value of accurate typing in computer programming
      • I can facilitate a build-up of a portfolio of useful programme components for them to use later in the course
      • Up to now, I have been able to use my coding errors as learning exercises, to explain what I did wrong, and how it affected the programme's behaviour
    • The use of my programming errors as learning exercises has been rather haphazard until now, and I want to formalise coverage of this important aspect
    • I badly need to improve the formalisation of the presentation and discussion of the background concepts - I have managed fine using my background experience, but this is a major stumbling block to having the course suitable for flexible delivery
  • Guided development of specified applications
    • I feel there is work to be done on improving the selection of applications to be worked on, with respect to facilitating the course aims
    • I would like to combine rework of this with learner-centred selection of what applications to work on
  • Individual and group application development activities
    • I plan to augment these activities with presentation activities - both interactive and documentary - as these are important skills in application development
    • Such presentation skills are also covered in other courses in the programme, but I need to address their specific use within the application development cycle
  • Group application development and database integration work through the complete development cycle
    • This activity is embedded in the programme-wide Final Project, which is the subject of a sister CCEL blog by Hamish smith, my programme manager: CIT L3 Project

No comments:

Post a Comment