Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Back to CCEL Development Ideas: An Appropriate Balance...

You must address how you are going to provide an appropriate balance of face to face and flexible learning materials and assessment methods

My course is currently delivered and assessed entirely face-to-face, so my current redevelopment task is to plan to work towards tipping the balance towards facilitation of flexible delivery.

There are no current plans for this course to be delivered in any manner other than face-to-face, and no resources are available to me to enhance it for flexible delivery. I won't let this put me off, but I will take what advantage I can of this situation by concentrating on such flexible delivery enhancements as will improve the course in general. In addition to flexible delivery, I am also keen to enhance the course in terms of learner-centredness.

Steps that I plan to take to improve this course in these ways include:
  • Formalisation of (previously logged) session activities, board presentations and class discussions for documenting and posting online
  • More learner-centred selection of scenarios to be developed into computer applications
  • Moodle Chat-board-hosted discussions on what application design methods the students would prefer to learn and use
  • Introduction of some peer assessment, to be performed in a Moodle-hosted online area
  • Generation of summative exercises suitable for online posting and completion, such as quizzes and short essays
In addition, the final course assessment - the integrated computer application - is incorporated in the programme-wide CIT (Level 3) Project space, which is interactively managed online by the students themselves (with the support of Programme Manager Hamish Smith, the other course lecturers and myself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment